Privacy & Data Security
For organizations in all industries, data represents the lifeblood of their operations and a key to their success. But the proliferation of security threats and a treacherous regulatory landscape have made the collection, use and sharing of data an increasingly risky proposition. Ellis & Winters attorneys help organizations capitalize on the opportunities while avoiding the compliance pitfalls in the dynamic field of privacy and data security law.
The firm’s Privacy and Data Security practice blends our experience in regulatory compliance, technology law, and litigation and dispute resolution.
- Alex Pearce previously practiced in-house at a global software company, where he served as lead Privacy Counsel. In that role, he advised on domestic and international privacy and data security issues arising from the company’s global operations, including the delivery of sophisticated cloud computing and data analytics offerings to customers.
- The firm’s lawyers have substantial experience counseling clients on HIPAA, data breach remediation and other compliance issues in the healthcare industry.
- The firm’s litigation experience includes numerous disputes that involve the compromise and misuse of sensitive and proprietary data.
We combine this broad and varied experience with a deep knowledge of all aspects of privacy and data security law. As a result, the firm’s attorneys are able to provide strategic and practical guidance to clients in managing the legal, financial and reputational risks that arise from the collection, use and sharing of personal, proprietary and sensitive data.
Our areas of concentration include:
- Data Breach Readiness, Response and Dispute Resolution
- Cloud Computing and Data Processing Technology and Services Engagements
- Analytics and Big Data Initiatives
- International Data Transfers
- Financial and Consumer Privacy
- Healthcare and Patient Privacy
- Digital Marketing and Online Privacy
- Workplace and Employee Data Privacy
- Educational Technology and Student Data Privacy
Our lawyers are active in the data privacy community. Alex Pearce is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and the Carolina Privacy Officials Network. Jeremy Falcone serves on the Data Privacy and Security Committee of the Defense Research Institute.