Sean Fernandes is a member of the firm’s Privacy & Data Security and Litigation practice groups. In both practices, he counsels clients on compliance and works to resolve lawsuits when they arise.
In his Privacy & Data Security practice, Sean has advised clients on compliance with state and federal privacy, consumer protection and breach notification laws, including HIPAA, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, and state identity theft laws. He is also an active member of the Privacy and Data Security Committee of the ABA’s Litigation Section. In 2017, Sean became certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US).
In his Litigation practice, Sean handles complex cases in state and federal courts, representing clients in matters ranging from contract disputes to class actions. Sean advises clients on compliance with consumer product, labor and employment, and insurance regulations and also counsels higher education institutions on matters ranging from Title IX compliance to student employment regulations. Sean also remains active in pro bono matters in which he has counseled education non-profits on regulatory and compliance issues.
Sean earned his law degree from the University of Chicago law school, where he was a Victor McQuistion Scholar. He earned his undergraduate degree from UNC-Chapel Hill, where he graduated with honors and distinction. Prior to law school, Sean worked in Student Affairs at UNC-Chapel Hill as a Community Manager.
Sean is from Asheville and lives in Raleigh with his wife. In his free time, he enjoys running on the American Tobacco Trail and the Raleigh Greenways. In the summer, he can also be found surfing on North Carolina beaches.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section, Privacy and Data Security Committee
- Young Lawyers Division
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Education Law Section
- Young Lawyers Division
- Privacy and Data Security Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- "Supreme Court to Address Significant Stored Communications Act Cases", ABA Litigation Section Privacy & Data Security Committee, August 2017.
- “Treble Damages for TCPA Violations in Kraukauer v. Dish Network, L.L.C.", ABA Litigation Section Privacy & Data Security Committee, June 2017.
- "Spies in the Skies? D.C. Circuit Invalidates Drone Registration Rule," ABA Litigation Section Privacy & Data Security Committee, June 2017.
- “Strategies for Managing Privacy and Data Security Risk in Vendor Engagements,” The Inside Scoop, Corporate Counsel Section, North Carolina Bar Association, April 2017.
- “Tips for Smart Privacy Practices from Smart TV Settlement,” ABA Litigation Section Privacy & Data Security Committee, March 2017.
- “Fourth Circuit Weighs In On Data Breach Standing,” ABA Litigation Section Privacy & Data Security Committee, February 2017.
- “Regulatory Guide-Freeing Energy Data,” Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago, June 2016.
- Transitioning From Out-of-State Law Student to North Carolina Attorney; North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Out-of-State Law Student Committee; Presentation to Students (Raleigh, N.C., June 29, 2017)
- North Carolina, 2016
- United States District Courts
- Eastern District of North Carolina, 2016
- Middle District of North Carolina, 2016
- Western District of North Carolina, 2016
- United States Courts of Appeals
- Fourth Circuit