Don Cowan no longer practices law, but we were privileged to have him as our partner from 2008 to 2012.
Don Cowan earned a reputation as a highly regarded and unusually diverse trial lawyer whose practice maintained a special emphasis on commercial cases, intellectual property, products liability and medical products. His experience includes a wide variety of jury cases in state and federal courts in North Carolina and other jurisdictions.
Mr. Cowan is a past president of the North Carolina Bar Association and previously served as an Adjunct Professor of Trial Practice at Duke University School of Law. He also served on the Criminal Justice Act panel for the Middle District of North Carolina and was often appointed as trial counsel. In addition, Mr. Cowan regularly lectured to North Carolina state trial judges on trial practice and evidence. He presented a seminar paper to the American College of Trial Lawyers annual meeting on Daubert and Federal Rule of Evidence 702 issues, lectured annually to North Carolina Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers on federal cases involving federal procedure and evidence, and presented a focus group mock trial of a product liability case at annual meetings of both DRI and the Product Liability Advisory Council.
Mr. Cowan received the 2014 Judge John J. Parker award, the highest award bestowed by the North Carolina Bar Association. In addition, the North Carolina Bar Association’s Litigation Section honored Mr. Cowan as the second recipient of the prestigious Advocate’s Award, which was created to recognize “superstars” of the Litigation Section and legal profession. He is also a former member of the American Bar Association House of Delegates and a former president of Legal Services of North Carolina.
Mr. Cowan earned his undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University (B.A., 1965) and his law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 1968). He has served multiple terms on the Wake Forest University Board of Trustees and as president of the Wake Forest Law Alumni Association.
Awards and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America ®, Antitrust, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, and Product Liability Litigation (1994-2012)
- Greensboro Product Liability "Lawyer of the Year" (2009)
- Greensboro Appellate Practice "Lawyer of the Year" (2012)
- Greensboro Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" (2012)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business®, "Leader in the Field" for Commercial Litigation (2005-2012)
- Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star" (2009-2012)
- Appointed by North Carolina Governor Mike Easley to the State Judicial Council
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys’ 2006 Award for Professional Excellence for being “truly outstanding in exemplifying sustained, excellent service to defendants, to the Bar, and to the community”
- Business North Carolina’s "Legal Elite," Patent Law, Antitrust, Litigation (2003-2012)
- Hall of Fame in (2010) Named to Legal Elite for patents, 2003; antitrust, 2004-2009; and litigation, 2004-2006, 2008; also named Legal Elite top litigation attorney for 2009
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Business Litigation (2006-2012)
- “Top 10” Attorneys in North Carolina in 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2011
- 2008 Greensboro Bar Association Pro Bono Award for representation of five death penalty cases
- Peer Review Rating of AV® in Martindale-Hubbell