Curtis Shipley focuses his practice on a variety of litigation matters, including complex commercial disputes and construction defect, products liability, and environmental litigation. In addition, Mr. Shipley advises clients concerning manufacturing, distribution, land use, and confidentiality agreements, and the management of risks associated with product lines and business operations.
Mr. Shipley obtained his bachelor’s degree from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University in 1985. While a student at Northwestern, he completed internships as a reporter at daily and weekly newspapers, and served as the publisher of Byline, Northwestern’s Journalism Review. Mr. Shipley then graduated with high distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law in 1988. He served as Articles Editor of the Iowa Law Review and was a semi-finalist in the Van Oosterhout Moot Court competition.
After law school, Mr. Shipley served as a law clerk for the Honorable Myron H. Bright of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He then practiced for three years with Sidley & Austin in Washington, D.C., and for twelve years with Moore & Van Allen PLLC in Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina, where he became a partner in 1998. Mr. Shipley joined Ellis & Winters LLP as a partner in June 2004. He practices in the firm’s Greensboro office.
Awards and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, Litigation-Environmental (2018-2019)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Business Litigation, Construction Litigation, Environmental Litigation (2012-2018)
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Litigation, (2011, 2012, 2014)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law Section
- Construction Law Committee
Prior Legal Experience
- Partner, Moore & Van Allen PLLC, 1998-2004
- Associate, Moore & Van Allen PLLC, 1992-1997
- Associate, Sidley & Austin, 1989-1992
- Clerkship, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Hon. Myron H. Bright, 1988-1989