Chuck Anderson's practice includes commercial real estate, debt finance, creditors’ rights and corporate law, including business formation and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly represents lenders and borrowers in a wide range of commercial lending transactions, including leveraged and investment-grade syndications. Mr. Anderson's real estate practice primarily focuses on the representation of banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions in loan transactions secured by real estate. In addition, his commercial real estate practice includes significant acquisition and development work. He has experience with a range of real estate products, including hotels, office projects and retail centers. Mr. Anderson served as lender's counsel in connection with the financing of the Centennial Authority's Entertainment and Sports Arena, now known as the PNC Arena.
In recent years, Mr. Anderson has represented creditors in significant bankruptcy cases, including a $120 million real estate secured creditor in a large multi-property, multi-debtor Chapter 11 case, a $32 million real estate secured creditor in one of the largest Chapter 11 proceedings filed in the Eastern District of North Carolina and a mezzanine lender in a contentious single asset real estate case. He regularly represents secured lenders in loan workouts, restructure transactions, forbearance agreements, bankruptcy proceedings and recovery of real estate collateral by foreclosure.
Mr. Anderson received his undergraduate degree (B.A., With Honors) from North Carolina State University (1978) and his law degree, with High Honors, from the University of North Carolina (1986). Mr. Anderson was inducted into the Order of the Coif and was a member of the North Carolina Law Review.
Mr. Anderson served as General Counsel for the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce for 2007 and 2008. The Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce is the Triangle's largest not-for-profit business membership organization made up of over 2,800 member firms representing 70 percent of the private sector employment in Wake County.
Awards and Honors
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, "Recognised Practitioner" for Real Estate (2017-2019)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, "Leader in the Field" for Bankruptcy/Restructuring and Real Estate Finance (2009-2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, Litigation - Real Estate (2007-2019)
- Raleigh "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Real Estate (2016, 2018)
- Raleigh "Lawyer of the Year" for Real Estate Law (2013)
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Construction Law(2011-2017), Real Estate (2011-2019)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Real Estate Law, Bankruptcy, Business/Corporate (2006-2019)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development, Board of Directors
- Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Artspace, Board of Directors
- Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Board of Advisors
- Taylor Family YMCA, Advisory Board