Ashley Brathwaite’s practice is divided between the representation of health care providers, product manufacturers and distributors, and others facing allegations of liability for a catastrophic personal injury. She regularly defends cases involving claims of negligence, professional malpractice, breach of warranty, fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and gross negligence.
Examples of Ashley’s experience include:
- Defending emergency medical providers through a jury trial that resulted in a defense verdict.
- Advising physicians on their responses to investigations initiated by the North Carolina Medical Board and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Representing distributors of surgical products involved in consumer fraud litigation.
- Defending manufacturers of medical devices in national litigation.
- Representing the owners and operators of assisted living, skilled nursing, and adult care facilities.
- Defending clients involved in commercial and mass tort litigation in South Carolina.
Awards and Honors
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Young Guns (2011-2016), Litigation (2016-present)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Medical Malpractice (2017)
- "North Carolina Rising Star" (2013-2015)
- AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors (2015-present)
- Chair of Women Litigator Committee (2014-2015)
- Co-Chair of the Women Litigator Committee (2013-2014)
- Defense Research Institute
- Drug and Medical Device Committee
- North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Co-editor of Prognosis (2009-2012)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section
- 10th Judicial Bar
- Bar Candidate Interview Committee (2006-present)
- Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- Wake County Bar Association
- Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- North Carolina Supreme Court Historical Society
- Board of Trustees (2012-present)
- American Bar Association
- Women in Product Liability Committee
- Ms. Brathwaite presents to clients on a range of risk management and litigation-related issues such as personal injury claim investigation, electronic medical records, and working with local trial courts.
- Medical Malpractice Case Law Update, Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, Client Seminar (2009)
- South Carolina Medical Negligence Update, Quarterly meeting of Upstate South Carolina dentists and specialists (2008)
- Electronic Discovery Issues and HIPAA Updates, North Carolina Health Information Management Association, Southeastern Region meeting (2006)
Ms. Brathwaite began working with the Vice President for Marketing and Public Affairs at the largest hospital system in South Carolina while she was an undergraduate at Furman University. She continued in her role as Internal Communications Coordinator after graduation before deciding to attend law school. While in law school, she received a scholarship that allowed her to complete an internship with the Honorable Judge John M. Tyson on the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Ms. Brathwaite also competed at the regional and then national level as a member of the Campbell Law Moot Court Board and was inducted into the Order of the Barristers.
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- United States District Courts
- Western District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- District of South Carolina